Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Why I Love Selling Antiques and Collectibles

The thing that keeps me going with this online selling stuff, is the thrill of the hunt! There are so many interesting and unusual things out there to learn about, I can never get enough! Here's my newest discovery, Sang de Boeuf Pottery. I found these beautiful pottery pieces at a local estate auction. What made me bid on them was this auction was filled with some pretty nice Oriental antiques and furniture so I guess I assumed these were also good quality pieces and they had the feel. Remember my last post talking about that gut feeling? Yeah that one is what I went on with these! Well it turns out the Sang de Boeuf glaze was used by the Chinese starting back in the 16th Century during the Ming Dynasty, quite fascinating how this extremely difficult technique using copper and iron oxides was hidden from the Europeans until the late 19th century.

What is hard to see in the pictures is the true color, they don't call it oxblood red for nothin'! And there are small flecks of a purplish blue that seems to pool up by the edges... oh and speaking of pooling, at the base the glaze thickens and settles in what looks like a pool of blood as well.




On these pieces I acquired, one of them has some Chinese symbols inside the lid, if only I had an interpreter! It's not like I can just put it in an online translator! LOL! So if you know Chinese and can help me out here I would love it!



I'm always fascinated by what the history of an antique piece could be. What do you think these were used for? Food storage? Spices? Hide gold or silver coins? And to think who in history may have held these pieces, I mean we're talking a couple hundred years of history! When did these make it to the United States? Were they someone's prized treasures or just utility vessels for a wealthy family? So many questions!

I do have these currently listed for sale online if you'd like to take a look at more photos

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360270286996

3 comments:

Kat Simpson said...

you are soooo good at this. I just see an ugly pottery jug and you can find out all this cool stuff about it :)

Enjoy

Karen Brooks (Avonridge) said...

Reminds of my days when I was avidly looking for antiques! What a find.

Carstarphen said...

Hey Danni,

Wow this is cool. I have not really used ebay much but I am sure I can learn a thing or two from you. Thanks for sharing.

J
The Cartoon Coach