Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Where Ya Gonna Find One?


So hubby says I always come home with the strangest things! Have to admit I never thought I'd bring home an Indian chief!
He was a find of mine here in Tucson, most people walked right by him thinking he was plastic or resin... but he caught my eye! And lo and behold when I got my hands on him, he was wood - and signed by F. Gallagher. After doing a little research I discovered what I had found!
Frank Gallagher is one of the last ancestors of the original tribe that carved these cigar store props back in the 1840's.
The Man-Dan indians had their village wiped out by small pox but Frank's ancestor was away working with a furniture maker, that furniture maker's name was Samuel Gallagher. Following the custom of Indian laborers of that era, Frank took his employer's last name as his own. One of the original Wooden Indians are on display in the Smithsonian Institute. The Gallagher's continue the art of carving as their ancestor would want it; the old way - the right way - by hand. Aspen wood from Colorado is the preferred raw material for the creations of the Gallaghers.

So there you have it! A real piece of history hand carved... he is listed on Rubylane and Bonanzle
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/udderlygoodstuff/item/UDx20-00222

1 comment:

Wanda @ Just Vintage said...

That is just about the coolest thing I've seen! Hope he sells fast, fast, fast!

Wanda
http://www.shopjustvintage.com/blog